Installing and Snake-Oyl Cruise control on a 2000 Dodge Viper

 DSCN0701.jpg

First I installed the wireless control unit. I could not figure out how to use the supplied bracket so I used 2 ½ strips of the included HD Velcro and attached it to the steering wheel after cleaning it good with alcohol.  I uses two small strips so the battery could be changes with removing the Velcro.

DSCN0703.jpgDSCN0702.jpg

That was easy…

Now mounting the actuator  

 DSCN0670.JPG

I moved the vacuum line towards the front a couple of inches.

 DSCN0672.JPG  DSCN0673.JPG

I rerouted this electrical line to under the other wiring bundle.

DSCN0676.JPG

My first mounting the actuator was too high for hood clearance so I had to lower it.
Good thing I check it before slamming the hood.

DSCN0677.JPG  DSCN0679.JPG 

I used Epoxy to fill in the holes and remounted it lower.

DSCN0680.JPG 

The throttle cable instructions were a little confusing
It says it is set for the Viper but also said if you travel was less that 1  5/8 of an inch add a ball.
Mine was 1 9/16 but there were no more balls to add so I just mounted it with a little slack.

 

DSCN0682.JPG DSCN0683.JPG 

Now the fun part the wiring….

DSCN0686.JPG 

I opened up the back of connector C100, the flash makes the colors look so vivid, and they weren’t that easy to an old colorblind guy.

DSCN0692.jpg

Most of the colors in the instruction were correct but not all of them so I used the Viper shop manual to get the correct colors.
The brake light cold side was White and Tan not White.
Find the correct wires in the C100 were by far the hardest part of the install.

DSCN0687.JPG DSCN0688.JPG

I cut and exposed a 1/8 inch of wire, wrapped and trimmed the cruise’s wires and solder them.

new1.jpg

The wires were so small I could not get tape to stay so

DSCN0691.jpg

 I bought some liquid electrical tape and painted them. This slowed down the process and I had to let it dry about ½ hour between wires.  When I was all done I went back and wrapped each connection with black sign vinyl as it is thinner and more pliable that electrical tape then put another coat of liquid tape on them so they are sealed well. Then I put the cover back on fighting the dumb-dumb all the way and taped it all together.

Now to get wires to the inside to mount the receiver.
 The two bottom mounting holes to the electrical cover were just sheet metal screws going to the inside of the car.
So I shined a light through I could see the light for the inside and could tell just above then would be a good spot for and access hole.
DSCN0694.jpg

After finding the smallest grommet I could get the needed wires through 7/16, I drilled a hole just above the mounting holes, under the cover.
I had to use a Drimmel tool to clean up the hole as the thin sheet metal drilled a nasty hole not fit for a grommet.

 

DSCN0695.jpg

After inserting the wires I also taped the wire to make then a tight fit in the grommet.

DSCN0696.jpg

Once I pulled that tape in to the grommet it was a tight fit and coated the whole thing with the liquid electrical tape.
In this shot I have not yet put the plastic connector housing back on, the housing is marked so removal and install is easy.

DSCN0697.jpg

Inside, the entry point it just behind the tall piece of carpet to the right of the clutch arm in this picture.
There was screw protruding on the inside so I just put receiver on it and put a speed nut to hold it there.
The receiver is the small box just above the clutch pedal.

So that was done.

DSCN0693.jpg

Routing the wire for the actuator, I cover them with the provide plastic and routed them down along an existing umbilical to the ground you use for jump starting the car. I knew it would be a good ground.

DSCN0699.jpg

This shot is with the connector back on, plugged in and taped.
Since the Viper is glass I wasn’t sure how to get a good ground I always fought that on Vettes
so I lengthened the receiver ground and ran it down to the jump start ground with the actuator’s ground.
The wire to the right, under the date, is my Battery Tender connection.
I did not cut the wires I just wrapped up the extra and hid it under this cover.

DSCN0700.jpg

Cover on all done.

Now for the testing and “Self Diagnostics Procedures”

They made no sense to me my unit did not have an on/off switch nor could I find any “Diagnostics LED”

So I just check throttle clearance and such standing still and took it out on the road for a test, being ready to turn off the car in case of a major malfunction.  But I had no problems everything worked as it should. On/Off, Set, Resume, bump up, bump down, accelerate and decelerate.

This will make it a lot nice on long road trip and keep me at the speed limit.

Questions Jay Wolf  via Email

 

 

 

joomla analytics